New York HEAP Documentation Requirements

When applying for HEAP assistance in person, the applicant must provide proof for all items listed below. Depending on the applicant's circumstances, additional documentation may be required:

ADDRESS (Where the applicant lives)

Must provide one or more of the following:

  • Current rent receipt with the name and address
  • Copy of lease with address
  • Water, sewage, or tax bill
  • Mortgage payment books/receipts with address
  • Homeowners insurance policy
  • Deed
  • Utility Bill


Must provide one or more of the following for each person in your household:

  • Birth certificate
  • Baptismal certificate
  • School records
  • Social Security card
  • Driver's license
  • Marriage certificate
  • Collateral contacts (e.g. landlord)


  • If the applicant is responsible for paying a fuel or utility bill, bring a copy of the most recent fuel/utility bill.
  • If the applicant has a utility or fuel emergency, bring your utility or fuel termination notice.


Must provide proof of income for all household members who receive any type of income, earned or unearned, including but not limited to:

  • Pay stubs for the most recent four weeks (gross income)
  • If self-employed or have rental income, business records for the most recent three months
  • Child support or alimony checks
  • Bankbook/dividend or interest statement
  • Statement from roomer/boarder

Must provide copy of most recent check or award letter for the following items:

  • Social Security/Supplemental Security Income
  • (SSI)Veteran's Benefits
  • Pensions
  • Workers's Compensation/Disability
  • Verification of Unemployment Insurance Benefit amount
  • Educational Grants/Loans

RESOURCES (For emergency applications only)

  • Statement claiming zero resources
  • Bank Statement showing current balance for checking, savings, and credit union accounts, IRA's, etc.
  • Stocks, bonds, dividends


All United States citizens or legal aliens admitted to the United States are eligible for HEAP assistance if they qualify. If any individual is an illegal alien, they are not entitled to HEAP assistance. However, United States citizens or legal aliens in the household would remain eligible.

Note: Actual HEAP eligibility is determined by the local certifying agency and not National Fuel.