Neighbor For Neighbor FAQ's
What are the requirements to receive Neighbor For Neighbor assistance?
In order to qualify for a grant of up to $400 from the Neighbor For Neighbor Heat Fund, applicants must fall into at least one of the following classifications:
- Be at least 55 years old;
- a member of their household must be handicapped or have a disability that reduces the household's income;
- have a certified medical emergency;
- or be receiving unemployment benefits.
You must reside in National Fuel's service territory. However, you do not need to be a National Fuel customer.
Are there any other eligibility requirements?
Applicatns must have made an effort to make their utility payments (proof of at least four monthly payments over the past 12 months other than those provided by HEAP or other assistance programs).
How much money can recipients receive?
Each Neighbor For Neighbor grant is determined by individual need, with a maximum amount of $400. All grants go directly to the home heating supplier.
How many grants are allowed per recipient?
A household can receive only one Neighbor For Neighbor grant during a program year.
How do I apply for Neighbor For Neighbor Assistance?
At time of interview, applicant must provide proof of identification, monthly income and monthly expenses.
- The Neighbor For Neighbor Fund is administered by The Salvation Army and sponsored by The Salvation Army, the Chautauqua County Office For the Aging, Catholic Charities and National Fuel.
- To apply, contact:
- The Salvation Army at 716-883-9800, extension 230; or
- Catholic Charities at 716-856-4494 or 716-218-1400 (ask for Parish Outreach).
- In Chautauqua County, eligible families or individuals should contact the following:
- The Salvation Army at 716-664-4108;
- Catholic Charities at 716-856-4494 or 716-218-1400 (ask for Parish Outreach);
- Chautauqua County Office For the Aging at 716-753-4471 if age 60 or over.
How Can I Contribute to the Neighbor For Neighbor Heat Fund?
National Fuel customers can have a tax-deductible donation of $1, $2, $5, or any other amount, added to their monthly bill. Please click on the link below for more information about making a contribution.
Click here for the Neighbor For Neighbor Contribution Form.